Sunday, June 28, 2009

Thing #3 - Like Skype

Nice assortment of articles to learn more about Skype. The Skype User's Manual will be helpful in getting this technology going at school, and it has some terrific ideas for implementing it in the classroom.

No problems downloading the software. I'm not sure if this was on my computer before I downloaded the software, but when I went to look at the list of district librarians, I noticed that there is now an icon that looks like this that enables the user to quickly add the contact to their Skype contact list. Interesting...

I envision the Skype video image projected on a large screen or ACTIVboard for a classroom to enjoy while interacting and/or interviewing an expert in a particular curriculum-related field or an author or an illustrator, and, as suggested in the Skype User's Manual, a language class talking to students in another country whose spoken language is the one they are studying. Also, neat idea about choirs or orchestras or bands mutually performing for students in another city or state or country.

Just think, Dr. B. could Skype our monthly meetings; however, breaks would be boring, no Marchand chocolate cake, no socializing with friends...never mind!

2 comments:

VWB said...

I AM so glad you posted that little picture...when I initially signed up for Skype, the phone number came out looking like your little picture...but today it looked normal!

I'm confused!

fsm said...

I checked this morning out of curiosity, and the icons are still there. Strange that they disappeared from your computer...