Monday, July 7, 2008

Thing #16 Wikis

Those crazy paper tossing, finger counting, marker drawing CommonCraft guys are a hoot. Talk about making learning simple + to the point + fun + meaningful! Someone suggested that we have a “Thing” devoted just to them next time. I agree!

Posting to the Learning 2.0 Sandbox wiki was interesting. Viewing online video wiki posting help and actually doing it were two different animals for me. I first posted in the discussion area. Oops! When I discovered that my posting was not showing up on the main page, I went back and tried again. Success! The image I uploaded turned out to be animated. Surprise! :-)

Wikis are a great invention and a wonderful discussion and collaboration tool. I can see using a wiki on the SBISD curriculum portal pages for each of the grade level curriculum areas where teachers could share their successes and new resources (syllabi, rubrics, homework calendars, slide shows, etc) for a curriculum area or strand or unit. It would be an accessible and easy way for teachers across the district in a particular grade level or subject area to globally communicate and collaborate. The PB Wiki Tour talked about online chats. Another application idea might be to have an online chat on a district wiki between two or more teachers/administrators instead of a face-to-face meeting. With the cost of gas, leave the car parked and meet online!

No comments: