Monday, July 20, 2009

Thing #10 Virtual Worlds

No problem creating an avatar and downloading the software, but doing anything beyond walking around, bumping into things, and flying with abandon was beyond me once I was in SL. When my oldest (in Chicago) heard I was taking a spin in SL, she immediately made a date to meet me and help. What fun! The minute she saw me online, she decided we needed to go shopping so I wouldn't be a clone of so many other first timers. Off to Calico Kitty for hair and Pink Boutique for clothes. Then she helped me teleport to Sunshine Therapy Garden... a "Calgon, take me away!" scenario...butterflies, soft music, waterfalls... Good Karma City. Next we went to the Music Academy and caught a hot air balloon ride. I stood up just after take off and promptly fell out. Back in again, we floated over several periods of history like the Medieval period, Renaissance, etc. Interesting, but it's all rated "mature," so I can't see going there with kids. Went back to a beach scene in the Sunshine Therapy Garden, took a photo for the memories, and told her goodbye.

Had 1 1/2 hours really gone by in this time?! The experience was certainly worth the effort, and I almost felt like I had gone on a micro-mini vacation with my daughter, which was a weird, but fun feeling. A major drawback to the whole experience was the number of times I got a "Second Life (not responding)" message and had to close and login again. It happened a number of times before I realized that if I didn't try to change my appearance or get into my inventory, it happened a lot less. The good part of that problem is if you do freeze, the program will put you back exactly where you were before the freeze happens.

Lots and lots and lots of practice would have to occur before I would even think about presenting this to anyone, much less students. I would guess that using Teen SL might be a safer avenue in an educational setting because of the restrictions already in place. I'm glad to have experienced this program, but I can't see finding the time to become a proficient player. I will be interested in reading other blog posts about others' experiences and impressions of SL as an educational tool.

1 comment:

VWB said...

how lucky and what a special tour guide you had!