Saturday, July 18, 2009

Thing #8 Screencast

The secret of the "How To" videos is out! Going through Thing #8 was like finding out the secrets behind a magician's trick. This is a marvelous teaching tool for any type of learner since it incorporates audio, visual, and motion. The bonus is that the screencast can be replayed at point of need by the user. I can see this tool being used by students, teachers, staff, and parents. Students can create screencasts for peers; screencasts could be accessed by teachers and staff to review what you have shown them as a group; parents could access them on a blog to learn about what their students are learning at school or for help in accessing sites pertinent to their lives.

Here is my first try using Screencast-O-Matic. It is a video showing how to add an image to a DotNetNuke page.

The audio syncs with the video, but for some reason I lost the pointer tool. The video is not as large as I had expected, so it is hard to see details on the page. Quick Tips for Improving Screencasts mentions greater success when using a smaller screen setting than I used and an "autopan" feature that automatically moves the region being recorded as you move the mouse, which wasn't available in the software I used. Will try another software next time. I rambled shamelessly at the end of this video, cut to other pages thinking the video had ended, and then couldn't get the editing tool to work, so I can see that lots of practice is needed before creating a final product!

Decided to try another software, this time Camtasia. Much easier to use and more options for editing. And the pointer tool showed up this time! I still don't like the small screen size...

2 comments:

VWB said...

I haven't gotten hee yet, but I'm wondering if the size issue has to do with putting it in the blog...if you put it on a regular webpage or wikipage, would it be larger?

Sue Waters said...

Yes size issue will depend on where you are inserting the video. If using in a blog post you need to take this into account.

Lots of people like using Jing as the quality is good.