Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thing #13 Tagging and Discover Del.icio.us

Once again, someone thought of a great tool for managing and organizing the vast amount of cyberspace information that also incorporates sharing and community. I like the idea of not only putting all of my favorites in one list that I can access from any computer, but organizing the list so I can easily find what I’m looking for and view others’ lists, too. Installing the bookmarklets in the toolbar was easy (Yahoo! tried to get a freebie on my tool bar!), so I was able to start bookmarking quickly. It may take some time to learn how to tag so that I can find things easily.

Similar to our Librarians’ share folder, this site offers teachers and librarians the chance to easily collaborate online. For anyone doing research, this is the perfect tool for organizing web sites and online articles. Students in study groups or working on group projects can pool their resources in a structured, fast, and convenient way by combining their efforts and posting to a shared tag. If students/teachers have their own blog, they can track new entries by using the RSS feed feature as everyone shares . Teachers/librarians can also post web sites they want students using for a particular unit of study. By using the “popular tags” feature, suddenly users can tap into other peer-driven information directories and find resources they might have missed or overlooked when researching. Wow! The 2.0 playground just keeps getting bigger and more interesting!

3 comments:

Grendel said...

Some bloggers have wondered what Del.icio.us stands for or if it is an inside joke of some sort. I have been intending to reseasrch that but keep forgetting. Here is Thing #1 for me for Monday morning!

Terry said...

Oooh - you just hit on something. Imagine if we could organize the Librarian's Share folder with tagging much like delicious. Everyone is free to tag anything that works for them but it would be easier to see/find what's in there! Don't know how to do it but I like the idea.

Jane said...

Wonderful idea about tagging the Share folder. I like very much!